In just a few short weeks, you’ll be celebrating Valentine’s Day with that special someone. If you own a dog, there’s a high probably that they’ll be right by your side. Did you know that Valentine’s Day presents a few pet hazards? Here, your Pickerington, OH tells you how to keep Fido safe on Valentine’s Day.
You’re probably aware that chocolate is a big no-no for our dogs. It contains theobromine and caffeine, chemicals that can poison a dog if enough is ingested. Keep Fido away from that heart-shaped box of chocolates!
Candy and cake can also be dangerous—not only can too much of any unusual food cause an upset stomach, vomiting, or diarrhea, candies and other sweet treats are often sweetened with xylitol. It’s an artificial sugar that can poison pets even in small amounts! To be safe, restrict your dog’s access to any and all sweets this Valentine’s Day.
Enjoying a glass of wine with your romantic holiday meal? Sipping an after-dinner cocktail alongside your special someone? Make sure your pet doesn’t try to take part! Dogs respond to alcohol just like humans do; the difference is that they can be poisoned after ingesting only a small amount. This goes for wine, liquor, beer, and champagne—don’t allow your dog to sneak a sip, and never give your dog alcohol on purpose.
Many couples light a few candles to set a romantic mood this holiday. It’s always best to use caution around your dog. An unsuspecting pooch can swipe a paw or tail through an open flame, possibly causing burns or even knocking candles over and starting a fire. Place candles where your dog won’t have a chance to swipe them down.
Lilies are most often thought of as a toxin for our feline friends, but they may be able to harm dogs as well. Tulips can also cause poisoning, so check any floral bouquets you’ve received for Valentine’s Day. Roses aren’t toxic, but their sharp thorns can hurt your pooch if Fido decides to chow down on them; keep your pet away!
Don’t let your dog play with wrapping paper, twine, ribbons, bows, and the like. It’s all too easy for him to swallow something he shouldn’t, resulting in potential intestinal blockage or choking.
To learn more about Valentine’s Day dog safety, call your Pickerington, OH veterinary clinic.