!Let's Talk! Button

Halloween Hazards for Your Dog or Cat

October 15, 2018
Are you going to be including your dog or cat in the Halloween festivities this year? Halloween and trick-or-treat constitute, unfortunately, a dangerous time of year for our four-legged friends! Use the following tips from a Pickerington, OH veterinarian to keep your pet safe.

Costume Hazards

Dressing your pet up in their very own Halloween costume? Your pet will definitely look adorable, but make sure they’re comfortable and safe. Pets can become quite stressed when wearing clothing that fits too tightly or too loose, so you’ll want to make sure the costume is a proper fit before the big night. Also be sure to check your pet’s costume for small parts, like zippers or buttons, that could be chewed off, swallowed, or choked on.

Treat Trouble

There is quite a lot of chocolate and candy floating around during Halloween time, and none of it is good for your pet. Chocolate of all types—dark, milk, white, powdered, even baking chocolate—contains caffeine and theobromine, chemicals that can cause serious cases of poisoning in pets. Many candies, as well as gum, toothpaste, and other products, can be sweetened with xylitol, an artificial sugar than can poison pets in very small amounts. Keep a close eye on the treat bowl during trick-or-treat night, and store all leftover goodies in cabinets or containers where pets can’t reach.

Anxiety and Escape

Trick-or-treat night can be one of the most anxiety-inducing evenings of the year for some pets. With the doorbell ringing constantly with hungry trick-or-treaters, pets can become overly excited or anxious. When the front door opens, there is a possibility of escape when your anxiety-ridden companion darts out into the night! To be safe, secure anxious pets in another room entirely for the duration of the evening. It’s also important to have your pet wear ID tags on the collar, a microchip, or both in tandem.

Decorative Danger

Tape down electrical cords running from wall outlets to Halloween decorations, like jack-o-lanterns or plastic ghosts and witches, so that pets can’t chew on them. Keep an eye on autumnal plants such as pumpkins, gourds, and fall corn—these items aren’t necessarily toxic to pets, but too much of any foreign substance can make a pet sick when ingested or cause choking. Want to learn more about Halloween safety for your dog or cat? Contact your Pickerington, OH animal hospital today. We’re here for you!